.NET 7 SDK builtin container support
In .NET 7 there will be built in support in the SDK for building containers. By running
dotnet publish --os linux --arch x64 -p:PublishProfile=DefaultContainer msbuild will build you a container without the need for docker or any other container tool.
Read more about it here: Announcing built-in container support for the .NET SDK
Here are some things worth noting:
- Right now this is an initial preview.
- You can’t publish to a remote registry just yet. But this will be available with the full release of .NET7.
- There is no way to do
RUNcommands. You’ll have to create base image and set the build property
- The way to configure things in the
Dockerfilelike entrypoint or environment variables is through msbuild project properties
- Right now linux x64 is the only supported container os. Windows containers will be supported with the full release of .NET 7
- Before the release of .NET 7 you’ll need to install the nuget package to get this feature
dotnet add package Microsoft.NET.Build.Containers